Friends of St. Loys
Who are the Friends of St Loys?
The Friends Association is a group of parents that has an interest in the well-being and future of St Loys. We meet once or twice a term (time and place are flexible). Anyone who shares our concerns is welcome to come along to a meeting to see what we are about – you do not have to make a commitment to join.
What do the Friends do?
The Friends’ principle aim is to organise school events and activities such as the Christmas Fayre, Summer Fête, cake bakes, discos, BBQs, and other events that will capture the children’s imagination and create excitement whilst raising funds for the school and its activities. Money raised from these events goes into the Friends’ Fund. We also support St Mary & St Peter’s Lois Weedon Church and Weedon Lois village fundraising activities.
2017/ 2018 Fundraising
This year we are hoping to raise money for a new school library. The Friends of St Loys have taken on the challenge to raise the money needed. We have agreed the ambitious target of raising £7,500 this year. This is significantly more than we have ever achieved but it's for a great cause! It will require some creative thinking, the commitment of many helpers and support of as many parents and children as possible but we hope you agree it is worth achieving in order to create a wonderful stimulating and educational space for our children.
2016 / 2017 Fundraising
Last school year we raised money for playground markings.
Regular Events / Activities:
- Food for Weedon Lois bonfire night
- Pre Christmas and summer Discos
- Children’s’ artwork Christmas cards
- Christmas Fayre
- May Day fun run (at the Lois Weedon and Weston May Day Country Fair) – money raised goes to the May Day fair Comittee, we then are able to apply to the committee for donations for a specific fundraiser (e.g. £600 was donated towards the park play equipment).
- Silverstone Grand Prix Circuit sponsored walk / run / cycle ride
- Summer Fete
- Cake bake and second hand uniform sales (also run as one-off events to raise money for other causes suggested by Friends’ members, staff or School Council)
What is the Friends’ fund used for?
The fund is used to help out the school by purchasing various items / equipment and paying for some activities for the children, e.g. chairs and whiteboards for the newer classrooms, the coach to and from the Christmas pantomime, gym equipment, the play equipment and benches in the park. We also help out with other appeals related to the school, such as the Premises Development Appeal for the newer part of the school and the school hall. We also raise money for the Lois Weedon church, for example the Church Restoration Appeal and arts and crafts materials for messy church.
How can you help?
There are various ways to get involved and this could be regularly or just a one-off – we understand that everyone has a hectic schedule to keep. You could:
- Attend meetings (dates are advertised in the weekly school Newsletter).
- Volunteer to help out with events e.g. run a stall at the Christmas Fayre or Summer Fête
- Support the Friends’ work on an occasional basis with any skills, expertise or equipment you can offer, e.g. access to printing facilities, sponsorship materials, prizes and contacts for fundraising.
If you would like to be involved, please let us know how by emailing the school. Don’t worry, you will not be committing yourself to permanent involvement, we just want to get an idea of anyone that would be happy to have some involvement but can’t always get to the meetings.
Current Committee Members
The Chair provides leadership for the committee, sets the agenda for meetings and manages meetings in line with the agenda.
Elaine McAuliffe (Children: Will, Reception; Dan, Year 3)
Gemma Phillips (Children: Barnaby, Year 1; Jonty, Year 4)
Debbie Davy (Children: Wallis, Year 1; Kitty, Year 4)
The Secretary is responsible for ensuring that there are effective communication links between committee members and between the association and the school.
Tanja Ashmore (Children: Emily, Year 1; Izzy, Year 3)
The Treasurer is responsible for day to day admin of financial records and procedures as well as the banking and handling of money at Friends’ activities and events.
Hannah Snelson (Children: Merle Year 4)